Tika Sumpter Biography
Tika Sumpter is an American actress, singer, producer, model, and television host. She is best known for her consistent appearance in television shows and movies they have won millions of hearts all over the world. She debuted after casting in the musical drama, ‘Stomp the Yard: Homecoming’ as the main cast. Her fame rose further after featuring in the ABC series ‘One Life to Live’ as Layla Williamson.
Tika started her career as the host of Best Friend’s Date (2004-2005), a reality series on The N. Later on, she featured in supporting roles for What’s Your Number? (2011) and Think Like a Man (2012), before starring in Sparkle (2012) and A Madea Christmas (2013).
In 2013, she featured as Candace Young, the leading character on the Oprah Winfrey Network primetime soap opera, The Haves and the Have Nots. She later played Angela Payton in the action-comedy film Ride Along(2014) and its sequel Ride Along 2 (2016).
In 2016, Tika produced and starred as Michelle Robinson in the highly acclaimed biographical drama romantic drama Southside with You(2016). In 2020, she featured Maddie Wachowski in the family comedy film Sonic the Hedgehog.
Tika Sumpter Age
How old is Tika Sumpter? Sumpter is 41 years old as of 2021. She was born on June 20, 1980, in Queens, New York, the United States of America. In addition, Tika celebrates her birthday on June 20th every year.
Tika Sumpter Husband
Sumpter was married to Hosea Chanchez from 2009-2012. Hosea is an American actor best known for his recurring role on For Your Love and the quarterback football player Malik Wright on The CW/BET sitcom, The Game. She also dated her baby-daddy, Nicholas James, a fellow cast of the show ‘The Haves and the Have Nots’.
Tika Sumpter Family
Sumpter is the daughter of Arthur Curtis Sumpter, Sr. and Janice Acquista. She is also known to have a brother named Curtis Sumpter.
Tika Sumpter Children | Daughter
Sumpter is the mother of Ella Loren. Her daughter is 3 years old as of 2020.
Tika Sumpter Height | Weight
Sumpter stands at a height of 1.7 m (5 feet 6 inches). In addition, she weighs approximately 55 kgs (121 lbs).
Tika Sumpter Education
Sumpter attended Longwood Senior High School in Middle Island, New York where she was a cheerleader. After completing high school, she joined Marymount Manhattan College where she majored in communications.
Tika Sumpter Career
Sumpter started her career at the age of 24. in 2014, she featured as a co-host of ‘Best Friend’s Date’ on N. Her breakthrough came about in 2005 when she played Layla Williamson in the long-running television series, ‘One Life to Live.
In 2009, Tika featured in the movieBrooklyn’s Finest’. However, her role was not accredited. Her acclaim for her past series earned her an opportunity to play the lead role in the big-budget movie, ‘Stomp the Yard: Homecoming’, a movie released in 2010. She played the role of Nikki.
In 2011, Tika played the role of Emma in the movie, “Whisper me a Lullaby” where her work was loved by many including her critics. Her next big thing was playing Yvonne Fair in the 2014 movie ‘Get on Up’. Her work was nominated for Black Reel Award for Best Ensemble. Other than movies and television shows to her credits are; Ride Along 2’, ‘The Haves and the Have Nots’, ‘Being Mary Jane’, ‘The Game’, ‘Gossip Girl’, ‘Law & Order: Special Victims Unit’ among others.
She was quite overwhelmed when she was offered to play young Michelle Obama in the biopic of Barack Obama, ‘Southside with You’. For her great performance, she even became part of the production team for this project.
On October 7, 2016, it was announced that Tika would be playing a leading role and co-executive produce political drama, The 313 for CBS. In the show, she would play as Mayor of Detroit.
In 2018, she appeared alongside Carsey Affleck, Sissy Spacek, Danny Glover, and Robert Redford in the drama The Old Man & the Gun, a film directed by David Lowery. At the same time, she featured alongside Jamie Lee Curtis in An Acceptable Loss, a political thriller written and directed by Joe Chappelle.
In 2019, Tika was cast in the ABC comedy series Mixed-ish, a spinoff of Black-ish, playing the leading role of Alicia, Rainbow’s mother. Recently in 2020, she played alongside James Marsden and Jim Carrey in the action comedy film Sonic the Hedgehog based on the video game franchise.
Tika Sumpter Movies and TV Shows
- 2009 Brooklyn’s Finest as Neighborhood girl
- 2010 Stomp the Yard: Homecoming as Nikki
- 2010 Salt as Front desk woman
- 2011 Whisper Me a Lullaby as Emma
- 2011 What’s Your Number? as Jamie
- 2012 Think Like a Man as Dominic’s ex-girlfriend
- 2012 Sparkle as Delores “Dee” Anderson
- 2013 A Madea Christmas as Lacey
- 2014 Ride Along as Angela Payton
- 2014 My Man Is a Loser as Clarissa
- ‘014 Get on Up as Yvonne Fair
- 2015 You Never Left as Euphemia
- 2016 Ride Along 2 as Angela Payton-Barber
- 2016 Southside with You as Michelle Robinson Obama
- 2018 The Old Man & the Gun as Maureen
- 2018 Nobody’s Fool as Danica
- 2019 An Acceptable Loss as Elizabeth “Libby” Lamm
- 2019 The Nomads as Cassey McNamara
- 2020 Sonic the Hedgehog as Maddie Wachowski
- 2022 Sonic the Hedgehog 2 as Maddie Wachowski
Tika Sumpter Television Shows
- 2004–05 Best Friend’s Date as Herself
- 2005–11 One Life to Live as Layla Williamson
- 2006 Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as Vegas
- 2011 Gossip Girl as Raina Thorpe
- 2011–12 The Game as Jenna Rice
- 2013 Being Mary Jane as Tonya
- 2013–present The Haves and the Have Nots as Candace Young
- 2015 Bessie as Lucille
- 2018–present Final Space as Quinn, Nightfall
- 2019–present Mixed-ish as Alicia Jackson
Tika Sumpter Net Worth
Sumpter has a net worth of $6 million. Her wealth has been honestly acquired through her successful career as an actress, singer, and model.